September 23, 2010

goodbye summer and HELLO fall!

Arre’s farewells to summer had me thinking about all I should miss about summer, but I can’t help but be thrilled for the cool mornings that have yet to come in the deep south. 

2010-09-23_17-13-52_620

We celebrated our first day of fall by playing in the water hose in our birthday suits (kids, not me) on the front porch (apologies for those that drove by for molly’s “booty shake” I promise i have control over them(sometimes)).

But this idea of fall had me thinking about one of my fall favorites…

Apple Cider

gt03novmsl_cider_l

One of good ole’ marthas…

Serves 6

  • 1 1/4 quarts apple cider
  • 3 tablespoons firmly packed light-brown sugar
  • 7 whole cinnamon sticks, (6 sticks for garnish)
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • Ground cloves
  • Freshly grated nutmeg
  • Salt
  • *1/2 cup Calvados, or other brandy (optional)

Directions

  1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together cider, sugar, spices, and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Remove from heat; pour in brandy, if desired. Strain into a pitcher; discard solids. Serve in mugs, garnished with cinnamon sticks.

*i have never added brandy to mine, but at the rate things are going it’s going to be an essential ingredient this fall

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails