June 22, 2009

accidental garden

a few days ago i was walking up my driveway when i spotted this



'what a nasty weed' i thought as i wondered what neglected plant of mine it was wreaking havoc on.




as i approached the plant i realized it was what used to be my beloved meyer lemon tree. even before i stopped paying it any attention it had ceased bearing fruit



which is why i almost did a cartwheel with surprise and delight when i spotted a single baby lemon! or four! there were actually five but i was so eager to love them i accidentally knocked one off ;(



after i raced inside to tell Matt (who, though i know could not have cared less, at least humored me by acting excited enough to race outside to see for himself) i decided to peruse around the rest of the yard and see what else i might have missed



low and behold, a tiny shrub by the backdoor which had been rumored to be a blueberry plant decided to this year prove that it in fact IS!



aren't they perfect!? are they poisonous? i've been too afraid to eat any.



perfect for two of my Summer favorites


Martha's Lemonade with Blueberries

AND


Lemon-Scented Blueberry Cupcakes


post by arre

5 comments:

  1. Hey Arre! I get just as excited about my own plants. Right now I don't have anything that blooms, just green house plants, but I love it when they get a new sprout. I'm excited with you about your accidental garden! And I don't have any ideas about whether the blueberries are edible. You'll have to find out and let us know if you try them.

    Take care,

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blue berries! Always a summer favorite!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look just like the blueberries that annabelle and i went to pick w/ shelly and harper the other day, so i think they're fine to eat! i bet they are tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kimberly! Thanks for commenting. I actually waited too late to try them and they're gone (for this year).

    La Maison Fou, nice to meet you! I love them too and still fully intend to pick some elsewhere (Shanna, maybe where you guys went?)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails