June 12, 2009

r. wood


i did this interview months ago and kept thinking i would get pictures of pieces kristen and i have to add before i publsihed it. apparently that's never going to happen and i am tired of waiting to share such an exciting post with you guys soooo...


even though i went to school in athens, georgia, i didn't hear of r. wood studio ceramics until after i'd moved from the lovely town she calls home.

the first piece of hers i acquired set me into quite a frenzy. it was - and still is for that matter - a small, flat, round dish of sorts that was given to me as a soap dish (i know this because it was accompanied by a bar of soap). it was lovely in all of its ways but its color is what really got me going. it is the most divine shade of orange. it has just the right amount of yellow in it but with an unexpected strawberry pink undertone that softens it up a bit. it makes me consider painting my dining room orange upon nearly every glance. but the knowledge that NO paint color would actually match the beloved soapdish reigns me back in time after time. until i can get the actual Rebecca Wood to start making house calls my dining room will remain brown.

the wildly creative woman behind all of this beauty and creativity agreed to an interview (of sorts) about her work, her life, what gets her going and what she's currently digging.

without further adieu, Rebecca Wood:

How and when did you discover your talent and passion?
I’ve always had an active imagination, and plenty of time to myself to dream.

Are you formally trained or self taught or both?
Both. I got a b.f.a. in drawing and painting from the university of Georgia, and have taken classes in lots of stuff.


How old is R.Wood Studios?
18 years.

What inspires your work?
nature and southern textures and colors


What inspires you?
Anything simple.joyful and beautiful.


What is your workspace like?
I just bought 13 acres of old homestead out I the country, and there’s an old wooden building with a tin roof that is about to become my drawing and painting studio.

What are some of your favorite colors to work with right now?
Sky blues and orange reds.


Your colors are always so vivid, how are you inspired to create such colors?
Always nature. You can’t beat nature for color schemes.


Do you prefer to make certain pieces over others?
I like to make platters and vases cause they look so good teamed up with food and flowers.

Please describe a day in the studio for you.
I have the dreamy job of doing whatever inspires me. some days that means taking a beauty walk and taking pictures for our blog – beautyeveryday.com. it could also be making pots for the woodfire, painting plates, combing a flea market for ideas, or brainstorming about ways to inspire people to use their own creativity and create some beauty.

How would you describe your personal style (this can be your house, your clothes, anything that defines you)?
My clothing style is ‘bohemian gangster’.

House- wise, the more rustic the better. Ideally, one table, one chair, one bowl, and some chopsticks.

What are some of your favorite things?
Daffodils, old southern textures and decay, anything primitive. Cute fabrics, birds, homemade marinara from our garden.


What's best about living in Athens?
Plenty of creative energy. easy to get around,and you can drive 10 minutes and be out in the rolling country with cows and pastures and sky.

In what other ways are you creative and artistic?
I love to sew one of a kind outfits, put up homemade jam, make homemade wine, cook, garden, pull weeds, read old recipe books, make flower arrangements, take beauty pics, do healing work, and play my singing bowls and didgeridoo.

What advice can you offer to aspiring artists and/or small business owners?
My motto is ‘intuit and do it’. I always follow my intuition, and don’t hesitate to buy books or things that inspire me.

Thank you so much, Rebecca, for granting us a peek into your dreamy world!

xx


oh! and one more thing - they are having a marvelous sale through the end of the month!!

post by arre

1 comment:

  1. thank you for giving us a glimpse into Rebecca Wood's world... i absolutely ♥ her work!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails